Thursday, April 14, 2005

Great Expectations

(for all those who want to watch this movie, I suggest you close this window. No Spoilers.)

Probably the funniest moment in the three hour ordeal that was Mumbai xpress was when a drunken lout sitting in the row behind me got up and started to sing Margo Margo.

I didn't think anything could dampen my enthusiasm. A one hour search for the theater (which was in some obscure corner of the city), finding it infested with cockroaches and its walls ridden with paan stains. Even that drunkard couldn't burst the bubble, I was there just to experience the thrill of seeing a Tamil New Year release on well Tamil New Years day. Plus, I had always liked Kamal Hasan's movies. (This was being compared to Michael Madan Kama Rajan )

I was just hoping for paisa vasool and in fact at the interval I felt that the movie had everything going for it. A decent plot, a superstar and also brilliant comic delivery. The second half though was a different story. Disappointment is probably the best word to describe it.

It seemed to me that Kamal was trying his best to hit the 3-hour mark. I don't what irritated me the most- the clich├ęd situations, the meaningless babble or the incredulous manner in which the lead pair get together. Plus, the last scene was totally unnecessary. One has to feel sorry for Manisha, its disappointing to see a talented actress like her ending up with only roles like this.

It took a lot of self-control not to stand up, scream profanities and walk out of the theater. Yeah, self-control and the knowledge (as Sharad put it so eloquently) that his fans would have probably taken my kidney out to fund their next visit to the theater.

PS: The one thing that really surprised me was that Kamal didn't plant a big one on Manisha!

10 Comments:

Blogger Sudarshan said...

Kamal didn't plant a big one on Manisha.... Lets ban this movie.... isn't that the biggest disappointment of all

9:10 PM  
Blogger P said...

it was a SURPRISE!

the movie was disappointing. Did you watch it?

2:12 AM  
Blogger AC said...

Aahh... spent what I now realise was an obscene amount of money to watch this movie in satyam. So damn disappointing... funny only in a few patches...

People keep bringing up MMKR coz that was SSR's too, but my all time fav Kamal comedy is Panchathanthiram - what a bloody awesome movie! Was hoping for something as fun as that, but this one dragged so much... not much comedy to speak of, really, and Kamal is now so FAT! Check out the scene where he is in his pyjamas in Ahilya's house... gross!

A huge let down. Yet siddhu seems to like it!

11:24 AM  
Blogger P said...

The movie was so disappointing yet every film critic seems to think that Kamal has come up with a winner!

9:32 PM  
Blogger Anjana said...

Thanks for the info..but yeah, u and the newspaper significantly differ in your opinion of this movie!

9:32 PM  
Anonymous srikar said...

according to my friend this movie is supposed to be a family movie. that's why may be manisha was spared . . .

7:00 AM  
Blogger Sarath said...

really..? that bad..howz the pic quality..visually?

5:38 AM  
Blogger Srikar said...

since you have your mom's guitar use that. initially you will be breaking lots of strings and making a mess with your guitar. once you are good with it get a new one.

a new guitar comes for rs.1400 and above...

7:52 AM  
Blogger P said...

Nothing great to be quite honest.

8:18 AM  
Blogger P said...

Srikar: Good idea, It needs a lot of patching up. Should give it to some store soon. I think I will start as soon as I am done with my final semester.

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home